Taichung Power Plant – Longjing, Taiwan
Located in the Longjing district of Taichung, Taiwan, the Taichung Power Plant is a coal-fired power plant with an installed coal-fired generation capacity of 5,500 MW. Not only is it the largest coal-fired power station in the world, it’s also the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide (approximately 40 million tons annually).
Taichung Power Plant has a total installed capacity is 5,824 MW:
- 4 gas-fired turbines (280 MW)
- 10 coal-fired steam turbines (5,500 MW)
- 22 wind turbines (44 MW)
The plant uses 12 million tons of bituminous and 2.5 million tons of sub-bituminous coal a year. Under a 25-year power purchase agreement, Taipower buys 70% of the plant coal supply through long-term contracts from Australia, United States, South Africa, Indonesia and other sources. Indonesia is the prime source for the sub-bituminous coal. The remaining 30% is purchased on the spot market.
Taipower plans to build two new 800 MW natural gas generation units. Over time, the coal-fired units will be gradually retired.
FLASH PRODUCT USED AT THE TAICHUNG POWER PLANT
The Taichung Power Plant employs FTB 204 high intensity white utility tower lighting systems.